- Philosophy of Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences
- Who Can Submit?
- General Submission Rules
- Publication Fees
- Article Types
- Peer Review Procedures
- Formatting Requirements
- Rights for Authors and Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences
Philosophy of Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences
For more information, please see Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences Aims and Scope page.
Who Can Submit?
Anyone may submit an original article to be considered for publication in Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences provided he or she owns the copyright to the work being submitted or is authorized by the copyright owner or owners to submit the article. Authors are the initial owners of the copyrights to their works (an exception in the non-academic world to this might exist if the authors have, as a condition of employment, agreed to transfer copyright to their employer).
General Submission Rules
- Manuscripts must be written in English and have been 'spell and grammar checked'.
- All manuscripts are subject to a plagiarism check and the accepted limit for plagiarism is 20%.
- The Manuscript is submitted in the editable format of word processing file.
- Submitted articles cannot have been previously published, nor be forthcoming in an archival journal or book (print or electronic). Please note: "publication" in a working-paper series does not constitute prior publication. In addition, by submitting material to Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences, the author is stipulating that the material is not currently under review at another journal (electronic or print) and that he or she will not submit the material to another journal (electronic or print) until the completion of the editorial decision process at Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences. If you have concerns about the submission terms for Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences, please contact the editors.
Articles published in MAJMS are totally free of charge (no publication fees required) for both Iraqis and foreign authors.
- Original Articles: detail original experiments and research conducted by the authors. Research on topics covered by the journal is accepted, provided it falls within the aims and scope of the journal. Original research should add to scientific knowledge on the subject, and all human and animal studies must be completed in accordance with ethical principles and institutional approvals. An unstructured Abstract of no more than 300 words should be included.
- Review Articles: provide a detailed examination of a medical, scientific, therapeutic technique and regime. These reviews reflect the current state of the field based primarily on the literature and unlike an original research article, it won’t present new experimental results. Review articles can identify potential research areas and draw new conclusions from the existing data.
- Clinical Case Study: Specialized authors could submit case studies about rare or newly discovered medical cases by presenting the details of real patient cases from medical or clinical practice. The cases presented are usually those that contribute significantly to the existing knowledge on the field. The study is expected to discuss the signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of a disease. These are considered primary literature and usually have no limit for word count for MAJMS.
Peer Review Procedures
All manuscripts submitted to MAJMS are subject to double-blind peer review system. This review consists of the following steps:
- Initial submissions are reviewed by the Editor to ensure adherence to MAJMS policies.
- Submissions may then be assigned to an Editorial Board member or other reviewer for evaluation based on the MAJMS publication criteria.
- The MAJMS submissions are evaluated by three external peer reviewers, then, the decision will be made on the opinion of two of the three reviewers. The Editor decides whether reviews from additional experts are needed to evaluate the manuscript but it is up to the Editor to determine the number of reviews required.
- Because MAJMS is committed to a transparent review process, all manuscript reviews will be signed by the reviewer.
- After evaluation, the Editor chooses among the following reviewer and/or Editorial Board member recommendations for decision:
- Minor Revision
- Major Revision
- The editorial board have the right for early rejection of any submitted manuscript.
- If the decision is Minor Revision or Major Revision, authors have 30 days to resubmit the revised manuscript and the editorial board has the right to extend the period of revision.
- The author will be notified upon final decision via email.
Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences has no general rules about the formatting of articles upon initial submission. There are, however, rules governing the formatting of the final submission. See Author Submission Guidelines for details. Although bepress can provide limited technical support, it is ultimately the responsibility of the author to produce an electronic version of the article as a high-quality PDF (Adobe's Portable Document Format) file, or a Microsoft Word, WordPerfect or RTF file that can be converted to a PDF file.
It is understood that the current state of technology of Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF) is such that there are no, and can be no, guarantees that documents in PDF will work perfectly with all possible hardware and software configurations that readers may have.
Rights for Authors and Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences
As further described in our submission agreement (the Submission Agreement), in consideration for publication of the article, the authors assign to Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences all copyright in the article, subject to the expansive personal--use exceptions described below.
Authors will transfer copyright to University of Al-Kafeel but will have the right to reuse the article on the terms of their selected end user license, as well as certain scholarly usage rights. For more information about copyright please find the details below.
Authors sign an exclusive license agreement, where authors have copyright but license exclusive rights in their article to the publisher, the University of Al-Kafeel. In this case authors have the right to:
- Share their article in the same ways permitted to third parties under the relevant user license (together with Personal Use rights) so long as it contains the end user license, and a DOI link to the version of record on the journal's Digital Commons site.
- Retain patent, trademark and other intellectual property rights (including research data).
- Proper attribution and credit for the published work.
All articles published open access will be immediately free for everyone to read, download, copy, and distribute. Permitted third party reuse is defined by your choice of one of the following user licenses/the following user license of Creative Commons:Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0)
Allows users to copy and distribute the Article, provided this is not done for commercial purposes and further does not permit distribution of the Article if it is changed or edited in any way, and provided the user gives appropriate credit (with a link to the formal publication through the relevant DOI), provides a link to the license, and that the licensor is not represented as endorsing the use made of the work. The full details of the license are available at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.
Attribution and Usage Policies
Reproduction, posting, transmission or other distribution or use of the article or any material therein, in any medium as permitted by a personal-use exemption or by written agreement of Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences, requires credit to Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences as copyright holder (e.g., Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences © 2023).
The following uses are always permitted to the author(s) and do not require further permission from Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences provided the author does not alter the format or content of the articles, including the copyright notification:
- Storage and back-up of the article on the author's computer(s) and digital media (e.g., diskettes, back-up servers, Zip disks, etc.), provided that the article stored on these computers and media is not readily accessible by persons other than the author(s);
- Posting of the article on the author(s) personal website, provided that the website is non-commercial;
- Posting of the article on the internet as part of a non-commercial open access institutional repository or other non-commercial open access publication site affiliated with the author(s)'s place of employment (e.g., a Phrenology professor at the University of Southern North Dakota can have her article appear in the University of Southern North Dakota's Department of Phrenology online publication series); and
- Posting of the article on a non-commercial course website for a course being taught by the author at the university or college employing the author.
People seeking an exception, or who have questions about use, should contact the editors.
General Terms and Conditions of Use
Users of the Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences website and/or software agree not to misuse the Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences service or software in any way.
The failure of Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences to exercise or enforce any right or provision in the policies or the Submission Agreement does not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any term of the Submission Agreement or these policies is found to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties' intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of the Submission Agreement and these policies remain in full force and effect. These policies and the Submission Agreement constitute the entire agreement between Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences and the Author(s) regarding submission of the Article.