The longevity of any prosthesis depends on the materials from which it was fabricated, which is why defects in the material properties may reduce the service life of the prosthesis and necessitate its replacement. This study aims to test the influence of incorporating different weight percentages of thymol micro-powder into the maxillofacial silicone matrix on Shore A hardness of the silicone. Room-temperature vulcanised VST-50 maxillofacial silicone was used to prepare the study specimens. Thymol micro-powder was incorporated into the silicone matrix in two percentages (0.75 wt.% and 1 wt.%). 30 specimens were prepared and then subdivided equally into three groups, with 10 specimens allocated for each group. These study groups are customised according to thymol content percentage: group A: Control (without additive); experimental groups B and C: 0.75 and 1 wt.% thymol additive, respectively. ANOVA and post hoc honesty significant difference tests were utilised for group comparisons (significance level set at P < 0.05). An additional three specimens, one for each study group, were prepared for the fourier transform spectrophotometry analysis. For the Shore A hardness test, there was a non-significant decrease in the reported mean values for both experimental groups (B and C) compared to those of the control group (A) (P > 0.05), while there was no chemical reaction between thymol powder particles and the silicone matrix. In conclusion, the application of thymol micro-powder did not yield a statistically significant reduction in the hardness of the silicone facial prosthesis. This outcome may suggest that the use of thymol micro-powder does not contribute to a more realistic or lifelike appearance of the prosthesis.
Ramadhan, Manar Hussein and Abdul-Ameer, Faiza M.
"Shore A Hardness and Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrophotometer Analysis of Thymol-Modified Maxillofacial Silicone Material,"
Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences: Vol. 2
, Article 2.
Available at: https://doi.org/10.55810/2789-9136.1030
1. Abdul-Ameer FM. Impact of a mixture of nanofiller and intrinsic pigment on tear strength and hardness of two types of maxillofacial silicone elastomers. Dental Research Journal. 2020 (b);17(4):251. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7688038/
2. Naji GA-H, Ali MM, Farhan FA. Physico-Mechanical Behavior of Room Temperature Vulcanized Maxillofacial Silicon after Addition of Glass Flakes. Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology. 2020;14(1):1304-10. DOI Number: 10.37506/v14/i1/2020/ijfmt/193090
3. Fatihallah AA, Alsamaraay ME. Effect of polyamide (Nylon 6) micro-particles incorporation into RTV maxillofacial silicone elastomer on tear and tensile strength. Journal of Baghdad College of Dentistry. 2017;29(4):7-12. https://www.iasj.net/iasj/download/4753fce227183c15
4. AbdulKareem AA, Hamad TI. The effects of nano alumina on mechanical properties of room temperature vulcanized maxillofacial silicone (pilot study). Journal of Baghdad College of Dentistry. 2019;31(4). https://www.iasj.net/iasj/download/7735ddcf73fac7e5
5. Fatalla AA, AlSamaraay ME, Jassim RK. Effect of the Addition of Polyamide (Nylon 6) Micro-Particles on Some Mechanical Properties of RTV Maxillofacial Silicone Elastomer Before and After Artificial Aging. Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal. 2017;10(4):1933-42. https://dx.doi.org/10.13005/bpj/1313
6. Tukmachi MS, Safi IN, Ali MM. Evaluation of mechanical properties and cytotoxicity of maxillofacial silicone material after incorporation of zirconia nanopowder. Materials Today: Proceedings. 2021 Jan 1;42:2209-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2020.12.306
7. Haider YM, Abdullah ZS, Jani GH, Mokhtar N. Evaluation of some mechanical properties of a maxillofacial silicon elastomer reinforced with polyester powder. International Journal of Dentistry. 2019 Nov 28;2019:1-6. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/2948457
8. Kutz M, editor. Handbook of materials selection. John Wiley & Sons; 2002 Jul 22. https://books.google.iq/books?hl=en&lr=&id=gWg-rchM700C&oi=fnd&pg=PR11&dq=handbook+of+material+selection&ots=xKL8qJSBok&sig=1cOuCHmn1LxzSqJMGbkO45v2g6A&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=handbook%20of%20material%20selection&f=false
9. Zardawi FM. Characterisation of implant supported soft tissue prostheses produced with 3D colour printing technology (Doctoral dissertation, University of Sheffield). https://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/3299/
10. Bellamy K, Limbert G, Waters MG, Middleton J. An elastomeric material for facial prostheses: synthesis, experimental and numerical testing aspects. Biomaterials. 2003 Dec 1;24(27):5061-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-9612(03)00412-5
11. AL-Samaraay ME. Effect of the Addition of Polyamide Micro Particles on Some Mechanical Properties of Room Temperature Vulcanized Maxillofacial Silicone Elastomer before and after Artificial Aging (Doctoral dissertation, University of Baghdad). https://codental.uobaghdad.edu.iq/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2021/03/Effect-of-the-Addition-of-Polyamide-Micro-Particles-on-Some-Mechanical-Properties-of-Room-Temperature-Vulcanized-Maxillofacial-Silicone-Elastomer-before-and-after-Artificial-Aging.pdf
12. Alsmael MA, Ali MM. The effect of nano titanium silicate addition on some properties of maxillofacial silicone material. Journal of Research in Medical and Dental Science. 2018 Jan 1;6(5):127-32. www.jrmds.in
13. Fatihallah AA. Effects of the Addition of Oxygen Plasma Treated Polyamide fibers on Some Properties of Room Temperature Vulcanized Maxillofacial Silicon Elastomers (Doctoral dissertation, University of Baghdad): 2018 https://codental.uobaghdad.edu.iq/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2021/03/Effects-of-the-Addition-of-Oxygen-Plasma-Treated-Polyamide-fibers-on-Some-Properties-of-Room-Temperature-Vulcanized-Maxillofacial-Silicon-Elastomers.pdf
14. Ibrahim HI, Abdul-Ameer FM. Influence of kappa-carrageenan powder addition on staphylococcus epidermidis adhesion on the room temperature vulcanized maxillofacial silicone. Pak. J. Med. Health Sci. 2021;15:359. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Faiza-Abdul Ameer/publication/350567526_Influence_of_kappa-carrageenan_powder_addition_on_staphylococcus_epidermidis_adhesion_on_the_room_temperature_vulcanized_maxillofacial_silicone/links/606623c3299bf1252e212ee5/Influence-of-kappa-carrageenan-powder-addition-on-staphylococcus-epidermidis-adhesion-on-the-room-temperature-vulcanized-maxillofacial-silicone.pdf
15. Kuete V. Thymus vulgaris. Medicinal spices and vegetables from Africa. 2017 Jan 1:599-609. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-809286-6.00028-5
16. Nagoor Meeran MF, Javed H, Al Taee H, Azimullah S, Ojha SK. Pharmacological properties and molecular mechanisms of thymol: prospects for its therapeutic potential and pharmaceutical development. Frontiers in pharmacology. 2017 Jun 26;8:380. https://doi.org/ 10.3389/fphar.2017.00380
17. Hatim NA, Taqa AA, Abbas W, Shuker AM. The Effect of thyme and nigella oil on some properties of acrylic resin denture base. Al-Rafidain Dental Journal. 2010 Sep 1;10(2):205-13. Doi:10.33899/rden.2010.9032
18. Abdul-Ameer FM. Effect of plant-extract disinfectant solutions on the specific properties of reinforced maxillofacial silicone elastomers with nanofiller and intrinsic pigment. European Journal of General Dentistry. 2020 May;9(02):55-61. DOI: 10.4103/ejgd.ejgd_86_19
19. Ibrahim HI. EFFECT OF KAPPA CARRAGEENAN POWDER ADDITION ON STAPHYLOCOCCUS EPIDERMIDIS ADHESION AND SOME MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF ROOM TEMPERATURE VULCANIZED MAXILLOFACIAL SILICONE (Doctoral dissertation, University of Baghdad): 2021. https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=Ibrahim%2C+H.+I.%2C+2021.++Effect+of+kappa+carrageenan+powder+addition+on+staphylococcus+epidermidis+adhesion+and+some+mechanical+properties+of+room+temperature+vulcanized+maxillofacial+silicone%2C+M.sc+thesis%2C+University+of++Baghdad.&btnG=
20. ISO 23529. Rubber - General procedures for preparing and conditioning test pieces for physical test methods. 2016 https://cdn.standards.iteh.ai/samples/70323/7b12c1be6a7946b098925802fba57e19/ISO-23529-2016.pdf
21. ASTM D624-00. "Standard Test Method for Tear Strength of Conventional Vulcanized Rubber and Thermoplastic Elastomers". ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA. 2012. https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=ASTM+D624-00%2C+2012.+%22Standard+Test+Method+for+Tear+Strength+of+Conventional+Vulcanized+Rubber+and+Thermoplastic+Elastomers%22.+ASTM+International%2C+West+Conshohocken%2C+PA%2C+USA.&btnG=
22. ISO 7619-1. Rubber, vulcanized or thermoplastic - Determination of indentation hardness - Part 1: Durometer method (Shore hardness). 2010. https://www.coipsi.com/wp-content/plugins/download-attachments/includes/download.php?id=3142
23. Zayed SM, Alshimy AM, Fahmy AE. Effect of surface treated silicon dioxide nanoparticles on some mechanical properties of maxillofacial silicone elastomer. International journal of biomaterials. 2014 Oct;2014. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/750398
24. Issa MI, Abdul-Fattah N. Evaluating the effect of silver nanoparticles incorporation on antifungal activity and some properties of soft denture lining material. Journal of Baghdad college of dentistry. 2015 Jun;325(2219):1-5. DOI: 10.12816/0015291.
25. Zamani Z, Alipour D, Moghimi HR, Mortazavi SA, Saffary M. Development and evaluation of thymol microparticles using cellulose derivatives as controlled release dosage form. Iranian journal of pharmaceutical research: IJPR. 2015;14(4):1031. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4673930/
26. Valderrama AC, De GC. Traceability of active compounds of essential oils in antimicrobial food packaging using a chemometric method by ATR-FTIR. American Journal of Analytical Chemistry. 2017 Nov 14;8(11):726. https://www.scirp.org/html/4-2201592_80292.h
27. Can C, Zhidong J, Xilin W, Hai L, Zhicheng G, Cuiru Y. Micro characterization and degradation mechanism of liquid silicone rubber used for external insulation. Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, IEEE Transactions on. 2015;22:313-21. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2014.004188
28. Shihab NM, Abdul-Ameer FM. Studying some mechanical properties of maxillofacial silicone elastomer before and after incorporation of intrinsic pigments and artificial aging. Future Dental Journal. 2018 Dec 1;4(2):244-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fdj.2018.06.002
29. Abdullah HA, Abdul-Ameer FM. Evaluation of some mechanical properties of a new silicone elastomer for maxillofacial prostheses after addition of intrinsic pigments. The Saudi dental journal. 2018 Oct 1;30(4):330-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sdentj.2018.05.006
30. Salih HA. Effect of Kappa Carrageenan on Candida Albicans Growth and Some Mechanical Properties of Heat Cured Acrylic Based Denture Soft Lining Material (Doctoral dissertation, University of Baghdad). https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=Salih%2C+H.+A.+%282019%29.+Effect+of+Kappa+Carrageenan+on+Candida+Albicans+Growth+and+Some+Mechanical+Properties+of+Heat+Cured+Acrylic+Based+Denture+Soft+Lining+Material.+Msc+thesis%2C+University+of+Baghdad.&bt