Background: Studies on the incidence of salivary tumors around the world showed variations, including in Iraq. This study was intended to evaluate the relative incidence of these tumors among the Iraqi population. Materials and methods: The current retrospective study encompassed 109 cases retrieved from the file records of the pathology laboratory of Baghdad Medical City over a five-year period from January 2017 to December 2021. Information regarding age, gender, site, and tumor type was assembled and analyzed using a statistical package for social sciences (SPSS version 20). Results: The present study documented that salivary gland tumors represent 1.35% of the total sample studied. Approximately 56% were benign and 44% were malignant, with a ratio of benign to malignant was 1.27/1. The male-to-female ratio was 1/1. The prevalent benign tumor was pleomorphic adenoma, followed by Warthin's tumor. Warthin's tumor showed a predilection for male patients. The most common sites were the parotid gland (50%), palate (29%), and submandibular gland (10%), respectively. Regarding malignant tumors, adenoid cystic carcinoma ranked first followed by mucoepidermoid carcinoma. Conclusions: Salivary gland tumors chiefly arise in major salivary glands without sex predilection, with pleomorphic adenoma and adenoid cystic carcinoma being the most common salivary tumors.
Ghazi, Osama Mohammed
"Epidemiological distribution of primary salivary gland tumors. Retrospective analysis in Baghdad Medical City,"
Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences: Vol. 2
, Article 5.
Available at: https://doi.org/10.55810/2789-9136.1016
- Skalova A, Hyrcza MD, Leivo I. Update from the 5th edition of the world health organization classification of head and neck tumors: salivary glands [Internet]. Head Neck Pathol 2022;16(1):40e53.
- Gontarz M, Bargiel J, Gąsiorowski K, Marecik T, Szczurowski P, Zapała J, et al. Epidemiology of primary epithelial salivary gland tumors in southern Polandda 26- year, clinicopathologic, retrospective analysis. J Clin Med 2021;10(8). https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm10081663.
- Sentani K, Ogawa I, Ozasa K, Sadakane A, Utada M, Tsuya T, et al. Characteristics of 5015 salivary gland neoplasms registered in the hiroshima tumor tissue registry over a period of 39 years. J Clin Med 2019;8(5):1e13.
- da Silva LP, Serpa M, Viveiros S, Sena D, Pinho R, Guimar~aes L, et al. Salivary gland tumors in a Brazilian population: a 20-year retrospective and multicentric study of 2292 cases. J Cranio-Maxillofacial Surg 2018;46(12):2227e33.
- Vasconcelos AC, Nor F Meurer L, Salvadori G de, Souza L, Vargas P, et al. Clinicopathological analysis of salivary gland tumors over a 15-year period. Braz Oral Res 2016;30(1):1e7.
- Collazo-Fernandez L, Campo-Trapero J, Cano-Sanchez J, García-Martín R, Ballestín-Carcavilla C. Retrospective study of 149 cases of salivary gland carcinoma in a Spanish hospital population. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2017;22(2):e207e13.
- Gao M, Hao Y, Huang M, Ma D, Chen Y, Luo H, et al. Salivary gland tumours in a northern Chinese population: a 50-year retrospective study of 7190 cases. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2017;46(3):343e9.
- Araya J,Martinez R, Niklander S,Marshall M, Esguep A. Incidence and prevalence of salivary gland tumours in Valparaiso, Chile. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2015;20(5):e532e9.
- Tian Z, Li L, Wang L, Hu Y, Li J. Salivary gland neoplasms in oral and maxillofacial regions: a 23-year retrospective study of 6982 cases in an eastern Chinese population [Internet]. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010;39(3):235e42.
- de Santana Bwj, de Silva LP, Serpa M S. Incidence and profile of benign epithelial tumors of salivary glands from a single center in northeast of Brazil. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2021;26(1):e108e13.
- Noel L, Medford S, Islam S, Muddeen A, Greaves W, Juman S. Epidemiology of salivary gland tumours in an Eastern Caribbean nation: a retrospective study [Internet]. Annals of Medicine and Surgery 2018;36:148e51.
- Young A, Okuyemi OT. Benign Salivary Gland Tumors 2022; 1:1e15 [Internet].
- Seifert G, Okabe H, Caselitz J. Epithelial salivary gland tumors in children and adolescents. ORL (Basel) 2010;48(3): 137e49.
- Hellquist H, Skalova A, Barnes L, Cardesa A, Thompson L, Triantafyllou A, et al. Cervical lymph node metastasis in high-grade transformation of head and neck adenoid cystic carcinoma: a collective international review. Adv Ther 2016; 33(3):357e68.
- Shishegar M, Ashraf M, Azarpira N, Khademi B, Hashemi B, Ashrafi A. Salivary gland tumors in maxillofacial region: a retrospective study of 130 cases in a southern Iranian population. Pathol Res Int 2011;2011:1e5.
- Al-Khiro FI. Salivary gland tumors : a review of 171 cases , with particular reference to histological types , site , age and gender distribution. Journal of Baghdad College of Dentistry 2014;26(1):88e91.
- Cunha JLS, Hernandez-Guerrero JC, de Almeida OP, Soares CD, Mosqueda-Taylor A. Salivary gland tumors: a retrospective study of 164 cases from a single private practice service in Mexico and literature review [internet]. Head Neck Pathol 2021;15(2):523e31.
- Mengi E. Salivary gland tumors: a 15-year experience of a universõty hospital in Turkey. North Clin Istanb 2020;7(4): 366e71.
- Koivunen P, Suutala L, Schorsch I, Jokinen K, Alho OP. Malignant epithelial salivary gland tumors in northern Finland: incidence and clinical characteristics. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology 2002;259:146e9.
- Mejía-Velazquez CP, Duran-Padilla MA, Gomez-Apo E, Quezada-Rivera D, Gaitan-Cepeda LA. Tumors of the salivary gland in Mexicans. A retrospective study of 360 cases. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2012;17(2):183e9.
- Li L-J, Li Y, Wen Y-M, Liu H, Zhao H-W. Clinical analysis of salivary gland tumor cases in West China in past 50 years. Oral Oncol 2008;44:187e92.
- Seethala RR, Stenman G. Update from the 4th edition of the world health organization classification of head and neck tumours: tumors of the salivary gland [internet]. Head Neck Pathol 2017;11(1):55e67.
- Cunha JLS, Coimbra A, Silva J, Nascimento I, de Andrade M, Oliveira C, et al. Epidemiologic analysis of salivary gland tumors over a 10-years period diagnosed in a Northeast Brazilian population. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2020; 25(4):e516e22.
- Al-Zaher N, Obeid A, Al-Salam S, Al-Kayyali BS. Acinic cell carcinoma of the salivary glands: a literature review [Internet]. Hematol Oncol Stem Cell Ther 2009;2(1):259e64.