Background: Denture cleansing is an important step that can prevent the spread of infection and improve a patient's health, the durability of the dentures, and the overall quality of life; therefore, it is necessary to choose a suitable cleanser that, in addition to being effective, does not have an unfavorable effect on the qualities of the denture base resin itself when used for an extended period.
Aim: This research aims to assess the effects of ozonated water on the surface roughness and hardness of heat-cured acrylic resin by immersion technique.
Materials: Sixty bars shape made of heat-cured acrylic were manufactured. Thirty samples for every test, including: (surface hardness and surface roughness). Then, these samples were divided into three groups, ten samples for each test group: The control group (immersion of samples in distal water) The group OZ-10 minute (immersion in 2mg/L ozone water disinfectant for 10 minutes) The group OZ-20 minute (immersion in 2mg/L ozone water disinfectant for 20 minutes) Next, the samples were tested using a profilometer tester and Vickers microhardness. Result: the hardness test readings were statistically significantly impacted by ozonized water but may be within clinically acceptable because the mean value was near. At the same time, the values of the mean roughness test did not significantly change (P>0.05) after soaking samples in ozone water among the groups.
Conclusion: Ozonized water had no adverse effects on heat-cured acrylic resin regarding surface roughness, but it did cause a decrease in hardness that was statistically significant but within clinically acceptable at 2mg/L concentration for (10 and 20) minutes.
Tawfeeq, Shawq Azmi and Al-Khafaji, Aseel Mohammed
"Evaluation of heated cure acrylic immersed in ozonated water,"
Maaen Journal for Medical Sciences: Vol. 2
, Article 2.
Available at: https://doi.org/10.55810/2789-9136.1013
- Fatalla AA, Tukmachi MS, Jani GH. Assessment of some mechanical properties of PMMA/silica/zirconia nanocomposite as a denture base material. InIOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 2020 Nov 1 (Vol.987, No. 1, p. 012031). IOP Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/987/1/012031
- Abass SM, Ibrahim IK. The effect of addition of calcium hypochlorite disinfectant on some physical and mechanical properties of dental stone. Scientific Journal Published by the College of DentistryeUniversity of Baghdad; 2012:36.
- Ellakwa AE, El-Sheikh AM. Effect of chemical disinfectants and repair materials on the transverse strength of repaired heat-polymerized acrylic resin. J Prosthodont 2006 Sep;15(5):300e5.
- Salem SA, Al-Khafaji AM. The effect of prepared denture cleansers on some physical properties of stained acrylic resin denture base material cured by two different techniques. Scientific Journal Published by the; 2006. p. 1.
- Degirmenci K, Hayati Atala M, Sabak C. Effect of different denture base cleansers on surface roughness of heat polymerised acrylic materials with different curing process. Odovtos Int J Dent Sci 2020 Dec;22(3):145e53.
- Tripathi P, Phukela SS, Yadav B, Malhotra P. An in vitro study to evaluate and compare the surface roughness in heat-cured denture-based resin and injection-molded resin system as affected by two commercially available denture cleansers. J Indian Prosthodont Soc 2018 Oct;18(4):291.
- Alpana T, Ullah K, Kumar RA. Ozone therapy-A boon to dental sciences. Ind J of Forensic Med & Toxicol 2021 Mar 24;15(2):47e51.
- Arita M, Nagayoshi M, Fukuizumi T, Okinaga T, Masumi S,Morikawa M, et al. Microbicidal efficacy of ozonated water against Candida albicans adhering to acrylic denture plates. Oral Microbiol Immunol 2005 Aug;20(4):206e10.
- Murakami H, Mizuguchi M, Hattori M, Ito Y, Kawai T,Hasegawa J. Effect of denture cleaner using ozone against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and E. coli T1 phage. Dent Mater J 2002;21(1):53e60.
- Nagayoshi M, Fukuizumi T, Kitamura C, Yano J,Terashita M, Nishihara T. Efficacy of ozone on survival and permeability of oral microorganisms. Oral Microbiol Immunol 2004 Aug;19(4):240e6.
- Mirmortazavi A, Haghi HR, Fata A, Zarrinfar H, Bagheri H,Mehranfard A. Kinetics of antifungal activity of homegenerated ozonated water on Candida albicans. Curr Medi Mycol 2018 Jun;4(2):27.
- Salem S, Al-Khafaji AM. The effect of denture cleansers on surface roughness and microhardness of stained light cured denture base material. J Bagh Col Dentistry 2007;19(1):1e5.
- Salih HA, Abdul-Ameer FM. The effect of incorporation kappa-carrageenan powder on the physical and mechanical properties of the heat-cured acrylic-based soft denture lining material in clinical use. Indian J Forensic Med Toxicol 2020 Oct 29;14(4):2102e10.
- Turki MM, Abdul-Ameer FM. Influence of silver nanoparticles on the specific properties of acrylic resin for ocular prosthesis. Biomed and Pharmac J 2018 Sep 21;11(3):1573e81.
- Seydanur Dengizek E, Serkan D, Abubekir E, Aysun Bay K,Onder O, Arife C. Evaluating clinical and laboratory effects of ozone in non-surgical periodontal treatment: a randomized controlled trial. J Appl Oral Sci 2019 Jan 14:27.
- Bezirtzoglou E, Cretoiu SM, Moldoveanu M, Alexopoulos A,Lazar V, Nakou M. A quantitative approach to the effectiveness of ozone against microbiota organisms colonizing toothbrushes. J Dent 2008 Aug 1;36(8):600e5.
- Abdallah RM, Aref NS. An in vitro assessment of physicomechanical properties of heat-cured denture base resin disinfected by ozonized water. World J Dent 2020 Aug 1;11(2):146e50.
- Al-Dwairi ZN, Tahboub KY, Baba NZ, Goodacre CJ,Ozcan M. A comparison of the surface properties of CAD/CAM and conventional polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA). J Prosthodont 2019 Apr;28(4):452e7.
- Cortes-Sandoval G, Martinez-Castanon GA, Patino-Marin N, Martinez-Rodriguez PR, Loyola-Rodriguez JP. Surface roughness and hardness evaluation of some base metal alloys and denture base acrylics used for oral rehabilitation. Mater Lett 2015 Apr 1;144:100e5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2015.01.037
- Zaidan NM, Jassim RK. Effect of microcrystalline cellulose incorporation on some properties of heat cured acrylic denture base material. MSc thesis. University of Baghdad; 2022.
- Jeyapalan K, Kumar JK, Azhagarasan NS. Comparative evaluation of the effect of denture cleansers on the surface topography of denture base materials: an in-vitro study. J Pharm BioAllied Sci 2015 Aug;7(Suppl 2):S548. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-7406.163487
- Hamada M, Alam-Eldein A, Shorbagy Z. The effect of ozonised water versus alkaline peroxide cleaners on colour stability, surface roughness and hardness of two different denture base materials. Egypt Dent J 2022 Jul 1;68(3):2613e24.
- Jasim BS, Ismail IJ. The effect of silanized alumina nanofillers addition on some physical and mechanical properties of heat cured polymethyl methacrylate denture base material. J Bagh Col Dentistry 2014;26(2):18e23.
- Porwal A, Khandelwal M, Punia V, Sharma V. Effect of denture cleansers on color stability, surface roughness, and hardness of different denture base resins. J Indian Prosthodont Soc 2017 Jan;17(1):61. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-4052.201550
- Moussa AR, Dehis WM, Elboraey AN, ElGabry HS. A comparative clinical study of the effect of denture cleansing on the surface roughness and hardness of two denture base materials. Open access Macedonian J Med Sci 2016 Sep 9;4(3):476. https://doi.org/10.3889/oamjms.2016.109
- Pereira CJ, Genari B, Leitune VC, Collares FM, Samuel SM. Effect of immersion in various disinfectant solutions on the properties of a heat-cured acrylic resin. RGO-Revista Gaúcha de Odontologia 2019 Oct 28:67. https://doi.org/10.1590/1981-863720190004000036049
- Abed AA. The effect of electrolyzed water on some properties of polyamide and heat cured acrylic resin. MSc thesis. University of Baghdad; 2022.
- Sen S, Sen S. Ozone therapy a new vista in dentistry: integrated review. Med Gas Res 2020 Oct;10(4):189. https://doi.org/10.4103/2045-9912.298982